The Sports-Casters: Inside An NFL Broadcast With Kenny Albert
Hosts Steve Bennett and Don Russ interview the biggest names in sports media and pop culture each week on Football Nation's The Sports-Casters podcast.
Their guest this week is Kenny Albert from Fox Sports where he calls football and baseball games Nationally. He is also the host of New York Rangers games on the Rangers Radio Network.
Albert explains the process and preparation that is needed to prepare to broadcast an NFL game.
Also, Albert talks about the importance of calling pre-season games, the cohesion that comes with having his crew together for six straight seasons, and recalls some of the memorable games he called last season.
Albert also says:
- Football season is the most fun time of the year even for a guy privileged enough to call games for all four major North American sports
- Preparation for a Sunday broadcast begins on the previous Monday Morning
- Broadcast teams arrive in the city of the game on Thursday night
- The replacement officials will struggle most with mechanics and timing more that penalty calls
- Sun Devil Stadium was the worst stadium to call a football game and Gillette Stadium is one of the best
- Only 10% of his preparation for this week’s game will make the broadcast
Steve and Don kick off each podcast with "3 Things" but manage to tackle so much more. In this week's segment they discuss the end of MJD’s holdout, who can survive the NFC Central, and the joke that is the final NFL pre-season game.
For more information about the podcast follow us on Twitter at: @fballnation and @sports_casters and check out The Sports-Casters' other podcasts here. Email Steve and Don at email@example.com.