(from NFL Media services)
BRONCOS QB PEYTON MANNING, CHIEFS LB JUSTIN HOUSTON &
JETS K NICK FOLK NAMED AFC PLAYERS OF WEEK 1
Quarterback PEYTON MANNING of the Denver Broncos, linebacker JUSTIN HOUSTON of the Kansas City Chiefs and kicker NICK FOLK of the New York Jets are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played on NFL Kickoff Weekend 2013 (September 5, 8-9), the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: QB PEYTON MANNING, DENVER BRONCOS
- In the NFL’s annual primetime kickoff game, Manning completed 27 of 42 passes (64.3 percent) for 462 yards with seven touchdowns versus zero interceptions and a 141.1 passer rating in a 49-27 win over the defending Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens.
- Manning tied an NFL single-game record with seven touchdown passes and joined Pro Football Hall of Famer Y.A. TITTLE (October 28, 1962) as the only quarterbacks with seven passing touchdowns and no interceptions in a game.
- Became the first quarterback in NFL history to pass for at least six touchdowns in three different games and tied DREW BREES’ NFL record with a seventh game throwing at least five touchdowns.
- Extended his own NFL-record for 300-yard passing games (73).
- Led the NFL in passing yards (462), touchdowns (seven) and passer rating (141.1) in Week 1.
- In his 16th season from Tennessee, this is Manning’s 24th Player of the Week award, surpassing TOM BRADY (23) for the most Player of the Week awards since the accolade was instituted in 1984. This is Manning’s third Player of the Week award with the Broncos. He most recently won the award in 2012 (Week 17).
DEFENSE: LB JUSTIN HOUSTON, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
- Houston registered five tackles and three sacks in the Chiefs’ 28-2 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- He played a pivotal role for a Chiefs defense that limited the Jaguars to 178 total net yards (107 passing, 71 rushing) and forced two interceptions.
- Houston joins Pro Football Hall of Famer DERRICK THOMAS (six on September 6, 1998) and VONNIE HOLLIDAY (three on September 7, 2003) as the only players in franchise history with at least three sacks on Kickoff Weekend.
- Houston’s three sacks tied for an NFL-high and were the best in the AFC in Week 1.
- Since 2012, Houston ranks fourth in the AFC with 13 sacks, trailing only J.J. WATT (20.5), VON MILLER (18.5) and CAMERON WAKE (17.5).
- In his third season from Georgia, this is Houston’s first career Defensive Player of the Week Award.
- Houston is the first Chiefs linebacker to win Defensive Player of the Week since DERRICK JOHNSON in 2011 (Week 8).
SPECIAL TEAMS: K NICK FOLK, NEW YORK JETS
- In the Jets’ 18-17 win over Tampa Bay, Folk connected on all three field goals, including a game-winning 48-yard field goal with two seconds remaining in the fourth quarter.
- Folk registered his fourth regular-season game-winning field goal since joining the Jets in 2010.
- Folk’s three field goals tied for second in the NFL in Week 1 and tied for an AFC-best.
- In his seventh season from Arizona, this is Folk’s third career Special Teams Player of the Week Award. He most recently won the award in 2010 (Week 5).