Offenses have changed a lot over the years and almost seem unstoppable at times. Here are the Top 5 offenses in the league today.
5. New England Patriots - The Patriots have had a crazy offseason with losing Wes Welker to the Denver Broncos and the Aaron Hernandez situation. But, despite everything that has happened, this team is still going to have an explosive offensive with Tom Brady leading the way.
They did replace Welker with Danny Amendola, who I believe will be better than Wes Welker. TE Rob Gronkowski is out right now and that may hurt the production for awhile, depending on how long he is out, and there is a chance he will be ready for the season opener. The Patriots ranked 1st overall in offense with a total of 6,846 yards averaging 427.9 yards a game, and I don't see them dropping out of the top five.
4. Detroit Lions - When you look at the Lions roster, there would be no way you would consider them one of the best offenses in the NFL, but last year they ranked 3rd overall in total yards with 6,540 yards while averaging 408.8 yards a game.
When you have a QB like Matthew Stafford who is throwing for over 4,000 yards a season and a WR in Calvin Johnson, who is going to give you anywhere between 1,500 and 2,000 yards a season, and throw in a really quick running back in Reggie Bush who can get to the edge and catch the ball, you are going to have a really good offense.
3. New Orleans Saints - The Saints had a down year last season as they had to watch the playoffs from home. But regardless of all that, they still were ranked 2nd overall in total yardage last season with 6,574 yards at 410.9 yards a game.
Drew Brees is still one of the top QBs in the league and can throw the ball around better than about any other QB in the league. This offense still has some great weapons though to go with Marques Colston, Lance Moore as his main WR options and then TE Jimmy Graham who has emerged as a top TE in the NFL now, and then that loaded back field with Mark Ingram, Darren Sproles, and Peirre Thomas. Needless to say, this offense is still going to be one of the best in the NFL.
2. Denver Broncos - The Broncos are one of the NFL's top teams overall and have the Super Bowl on their minds this season. The Broncos were the 4th ranked team last year in total offensive yards with 6,366 yards averaging 397.9 a game and they only got better this offseason.
The team picked up ex-Patriots receiver Wes Welker, who will be able to play a huge role in this offense and take some pressure off of Erick Decker and Demaryius Thomas on the outsides. The Broncos released McGahee to give the rookie RB Montee Ball the nod to start from the get-go. Any team with Peyton Manning on it is going to have a good offense, but with the weapons he has around him, this team is going to be dangerous.
1. Atlanta Falcons - The Falcons weren't in the top last season in total yards, but they were ranked 8th with 5,906 total yards, while averaging 369.1 yards a game.
Matt Ryan finally got a playoff win and a new big contract and is looking to take this explosive offense to the Super Bowl this season. The Falcons have the best receiving core in all of football with Roddy White, Julio Jones, and the all-time greatest, TE Tony Gonzalez, giving Matt Ryan many options to go to on any given play. Then they went and picked up RB Steven Jackson who is still a top back in the NFL and can also provide Ryan a good target out of the back field. The Falcons, in my mind, are the best offensive team in the NFL.