The roster has been trimmed, the playbooks have been turned in. All that is left is to focus on Cleveland and the opening game of the year.
Six days and counting.
The Dolphins kept all of their nine draft picks on the 53-man roster this weekend and released a few players who surely will be signed by other teams before the beginning of the season.
Among the changes that could be considered eye-openers, according to miamidolphins.com were…
* The Dolphins released four wide receivers — Chad Bumphis, Brian Tyms,Keenan Davis and Marvin McNutt, who had four catches for 99 yards and a game-winning 56-yard touchdown in the 24-21 victory against the New Orleans Saints in the preseason finale Thursday night.
I expected McNutt and Bumphis to make the team.
* Former Dolphins draft picks Austin Spitler and Kheeston Randall were among the 22 players released Sunday
Now, with a possibility of more changes on the horizon (no team is done with one or two roster changes and more free agents will become available) there are few more questions to be answered.
* Will another tight end be added to the roster?
* Who will make the practice squad?
* Is there enough depth on offensive line?
* Will the secondary add another player or two
I like the makeup of this team and think there is depth at running back, quarterback and at the receiver slots. The defensive line is stout and the linebackers appear to be good, but needs some depth.
I am also surprised the team did not shore up more on special teams. Those options could be helped when the team sees which players are still available after free agents are signed and released. The one person who I thought might be in danger of losing his spot on the roster is Marcus Thigpen who had return issues against Tampa Bay.
One player, AJ Francis, a defensive tackle, has already been signed by the Patriots.