It’s hard to believe that the kicker position on the roster for the Miami Dolphins continues to be a hotly contested battle, but it is. Along with the offensive line and secondary depth battles, the who will be the Dolphins placekicker is one question that is not ready to be answered.
According to miamiherald.com, “Dan Carpenter made two from 35 yards and missing from 46. Carpenter hadn’t kicked since going 3 for 5 on field goals and missing an extra point in Monday’s scrimmage. Rookie Caleb Sturgis, who was generally sharp on Wednesday, did not kick any field goals on Thursday.”
The Dolphins are preparing for the Hall of Fame Game this weekend against the Dallas Cowboys in Canton, OH.
Here are some notes of interest from practice on Thursday.
* Will Davis is showing he can play in the NFL, or at least in training camp. The rookie had three interceptions on the day. Two were at the expense of Pat Devlin. The other from Matt Moore. All three were in 11-on-11 drills.
* The tight end position looks to have depth behind starter and new free agent signee Dustin Keller. Kyle Miller caught a 30-yard pass on the day. Miller is said to be having a good camp so far.
* Richard Marshall is another name to keep an eye on for the Dolphins. The veteran picked off Ryan Tannehill in drills Thursday. Marshall will provide veteran depth on this squad.
* According to the Herald report, “Olivier Vernon had three sacks against left tackle Jonathan Martin in team drills and has had the better of their matchup in camp. But Martin didn’t allow a sack against Dion Jordan, who had two against him on Wednesday.”
Martin was moved from right tackle to left tackle when Jake Long signed a free agent contract with St. Louis. The Dolphins signed Tyson Clabo to take Martin’s spot.
“I think it’s going pretty well,” Martin said of his move back to left tackle, where he played at Stanford. “You have some good days and some bad days. My goal is to try to be consistent against a talented D-line.”
* Brian Hartline continues to practice with a black sleeve over his left calf. Hartline injured the calf earlier this week.
* Also, Josh Samuda was the first team right guard in practice. He has also been tried at center and Mike Pouncey has seen time at guard.