They are young, they are hungry and they will fit into the mold new Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley wants them to be.
These are the new look Jaguars, the team that won two games last season, and will have plenty of ups and downs this season for the local and national media to scrutinize.
But this is a team that will exciting on both offense and defense. Even with the chances of being a playoff contender slim, Jacksonville will cause a bit of disruption in the plans of other teams trying to get to the promised land this season.
Here are a few things we will learn about this team before the season starts.
1. Maurice Jones-Drew has lost a step. He has a major football injury in the sixth game of last season. His surgery was a bit later than expected. He gained weight in the offseason and he was just cleared to practice this week. While he will still gain 1,100 yards, MJD will show he lost a step in this recovery period.
2. Jason Babin will play LEO. In Gus Bradley’s defense, there is a LEO linebacker/Defensive end who causes all kinds of havoc for the opposition. Babin moves to LEO, Andre Branch moves to defensive end, and the defense is revitalized.
3. Tyson Alualu’s career is revitalized. By moving to defensive end, this does many things, one of which allows Alualu to take advantage of his speed. With No. 93 coming off the end and Branch from the outside, the defensive line just became a whole lot faster.
4. Luke Joeckel is a beast. He will line up on the right side and block everything in his path. A natural left tackle who is learning a new position. He and Eugene Monroe will be a much better tandem than people think.
5. Tobias Palmer makes the team. A receiver with 4.3 speed and a threat on the outside is a long shot to make this team, but I think Palmer does it. He could be a nice addition while Justin Blackmon serves his four-game suspension.