Panthers cuts to get to 53-man roster:
- Released safety Reggie Smith
- Waived wide receiver Seyi Ajirotutu
- Waived guard Bryant Browning
- Waived wide receiver Lamont Bryant
- Waived cornerback Darius Butler
- Waived defensive tackle Nate Chandler
- Waived tight end Joe Jon Finley
- Waived wide receiver Jared Green
- Waived safety Jonathan Nelson
- Waived linebacker David Nixon
- Waived defensive tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo
- Waived running back Tauren Poole
- Waived safety Jordan Pugh
- Waived offensive tackle Matt Reynolds
- Waived tight end Nelson Rosario
- Waived running back Armond Smith
- Waived corner back RJ Stanford
- Waived defensive end Ryan Van Bergen
- Waived guard Justin Wells
- Waived linebacker Jason Williams
- Waived guard Zach Williams
- Waived linebacker Kion Wilson
Panthers Practice Squad:
- Guard Bryant Browning
- Wide receiver Lamont Bryant
- Defensive tackle Nate Chandler
- Wide receiver Jared Green
- Tight end Nelson Rosario
- Running back Armond Smith
- Guard Zach Williams
Marty Hurney on why wide receiver Armanti Edwards made the team when many believed he would be cut:
"Armanti had a very good training camp, and he played well in the preseason games."
"He's got excellent hands, he's got very good speed and he continues to get better. There's a dramatic difference between him now and last year."
"He earned that spot."
Reggie Smith, the only player released, was actually a bit of surprise to most considering he was signed in the offseason to provide depth at safety.
"It was a numbers thing with Reggie," Hurney said. "He did a very good job, but it just came down to the fact we had chance to get an excellent special teams player in Colin Jones and we had a good young player in DJ Campbell."
The Panthers traded a 2013 seventh-round pick to the 49ers for second-year safety Colin Jones who is known as a special team ace. The Panthers' special teams had a lackluster showing in this year's preseason.
The Panthers open the season at Tampa Bay, Sunday, September 9 at 4:25 p.m.