The New York Giants and the New York Jets faced off for bragging rights in the 3rd pre-season game with the Jet prevailing in overtime 24-21. Make no mistake, this was a sloppy game by both teams and it exposed make weaknesses for both teams. He is a quick recap of the game highlights and lowlights:
- David Wilson 84 yard run for a TD.
- Ryan Torain looked strong and quick with his performance
- Josh Brown and Steve Weatherford play well again for the 3rd straight game.
- Jerrigan, Talley and Collins played better than expected as they battle for a roster spot.
- Kickoff return (especially Michael Cox) looked good.
- Bosworth, Herzlich and Amukamara performed well. Bosworth has a good chance of winning a roster spot. Herzlich is now even with Connors for the starting MLB position; and Amukamara is by far the Giants best CB.
- Manning for the 2nd week in a row did not look like Eli Manning at all. Once again, his throws seemed to have no velocity and his accuracy was for the most part inconsistent.
- Punt returners all looked horrible and this should be a concern for the Giants.
- Curtis Painter did not do enough to convince Coach Coughlin that he deserves a roster spot.
- Aaron Curry once again was out of position on a number of plays and unless he plays lights out in the final pre-season game; should not make the roster.
- Giant’s defensive unit (1st unit) did not impress me at all and were at times physically manhandled by the Jets OL.
If not for the poor play of Geno Smith, the Giants defense would have been graded with an n F grade instead of a C+. There should be concern by the Giants Management, Coaching Staff and the fans regarding the play of the Giants in the 1st 3 pre-season games. This team is a long way away from being a playoff contending team and if Eli Manning doesn’t rebound and return to form; the Giants will be leading the league in most punts per game and most FG attempts per game.